WHAT IS NEEDED TO MARRY IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH?
- The Diocese of Pueblo requires a minimum preparation period of six months and recommends one full year if possible.
- This preparation period begins when the couple meets with the Pastoral Assistant at the parish for the first time.
- The minimum age for marriage in our Diocese is 19.
- If one or both of you has been previously married, then an annulment is required even for a non-Catholic. Annulments are done through the Marriage Tribunal of the Diocese of Pueblo and the process can take more than a year. Scheduling a wedding cannot take place until the annulment process has been successfully completed.
- Baptismal certificates: Catholics getting married need to submit a certified copy of their baptismal certificate dated within 6 months of the wedding date. Non-Catholics who are baptized need to submit a copy of their certificate if they have one.
- Both parties must have two affidavits called witness forms filled out by blood relatives and witnessed at a Catholic Church with the church seal. These forms concern your freedom to marry and your baptismal status.
- A Pre-Nuptial Investigation Form is filled out by the priest, deacon or pastoral assistant working with the couple.
- Any other documents as may be necessary, such as dispensations, annulments, etc.
- Marriage license: the State of Colorado requires a marriage license that is valid for 30 days.
Once you have met with the Pastoral Assistant or priest to begin your preparation process, you may register for a local Marriage Preparation Class by contacting Coordinator Karen Kiefer 970-243-8908, or emailing her at RainbowArtistry@aol.com. to reserve a spot in a class. We offer classes several times a year.
In lieu of the local marriage prep class we also accept:
- The online class from the Archdiocese of Chicago CLICK HERE
- The online class out of Colorado Springs CLICK HERE
Bev Goodrich, Immaculate Heart of Mary’s Pastoral Assistant, is also available to answer your question. You can email Bev at email@example.com or call Bev at the parish office 970-242-6121 ext 206.